Friday, September 20, 2013

Crock Pot Turkey Chili - A Low Carb, Low Fat and Low Calorie Wonder!

The end of summer is upon us and we've had a bit of cool snap in Columbia, SC.  I was looking around for a good crock pot recipe so I could make lunch for the week.  I'm trying to eat out less and I'm carb cycling again.  I'm also lazy in the kitchen and the most anti-morning person you will ever meet.  Making a vat of something on Sunday and dividing it up for lunch for the rest of the week seemed the most logical thing to do.

A friend posted a pretty simple chili recipe so I thought I'd give it a try.  Chili typically has beans in it but beans are not low carb and like Sheldon points out... "real chili has no beans in it" so out those went.



Tomato sauce has more sugar than I was looking for so I substituted some beef broth and reduced the amount of sauce. Hamburger was too fatty so I switched it out for some ground turkey.  Then I threw in a diced green bell pepper and some onion along with a handful of seasonings.  I thought it was tasty on Monday but now that it is Friday?  Oh the flavors have blended together beautifully and it's now one of my favorite dishes.  Everyone at the office tells me how wonderful it smells when I heat it up in our work kitchen. It tastes even better!

The recipe below is for the whole crock pot.  I just divided it up into 4 Tupperware containers (a little less than 2 cups in each) and put it in the fridge. Then I grabbed one each morning on the way out the door. Sadly, even remembering to grab that was hard for me. The morning and I are so not friends. At all.


I hope you all enjoy the recipe! Brown the turkey and drain juices, dice the pepper and onion and throw it all in the crock pot for 7-8 hours on low.  Done!  I topped each plate with 1/4 the cheese and scallions listed below.  (numbers taken from MyFitnessPal)



No comments:

Post a Comment